As a network, CTEWC seeks to facilitate and promote debate among theological ethicists. This takes place via meetings, conferences and other forms of encounter. Here we offer a new format: virtual tables. In regular video conferences, ethicists from different regions of the world come together to discuss a topic. A virtual table works over a longer period of time (initially one year) in order to enable a serious and continuous discussion of the topic.
As a discussion forum, the virtual table is an end in itself. Nevertheless, the groups can decide whether they want to plan further joint projects (book project, workshop, etc.). In the First and on the CTEWC website, the virtual tables will provide quarterly information about their work.
The first round of the virtual tables started in December 2019. Interested persons can apply to the organizers of the virtual table in which they are interested. We ask also that all virtual table co-leaders and participants register with the CTEWC network directory.
Please note: the number of participants is limited in order to ensure the ability to work. We therefore ask for your understanding if participation in a certain case may not be possible.
Current Virtual Tables:
- Co-Chairs: Maria Cimperman, RSCJ (USA), Kevin Ahern (USA), Stephanie Ann Puen (Philippines) and Victor Carmona (USA).
- Chair: Jutta Battenberg (México); participants: Maria Isabel Gil Espinosa (Colombia), Miguel A. Sánchez (México), Víctor Carmona (U.S.), María Cristina Ventura Campusano (Costa Rica), Matthew Whelan (U.S.), Gerardo Cruz (México), María Teresa Dávila (Puerto Rico/U.S.), Hilda Ortiz Mena (México), Claudia Montes de Oca Ayala (Bolivia), Diego Agudelo (Colombia), Marco Strona (Brazil).
- Co-Chairs: Jasmin Nario-Galace (Philippines) and Eli McCarthy (US); participants: Sami Basha (Palestine/Italy), Marie Dennis (US), Nontando Hadebe (South Africa), Maureen O’Connell (US), Maria Clara Bingemer (Brazil), Lilian Ehidiamhen (Belgium/Nigeria), Nichole Flores (US), Leocadie Lushombo (DRC/US), Maritas Guingona Africa (Philippines).
- Co-Chairs: Dan Fleming and James Keenan; participants: Antonio Autiero (Germany), Leonida Katunge (Kenya), Eric Genilo (Philippines), Marcus Pound (UK), Lisa Sowle Cahill (US), Gill Goulding (Canada), James McEvoy (Australia), Lawrence Daka Chishawasha (Zimbabwe), Shaji George Kochuthara (India), Dawn Eden Goldstein (US), Nuala Kenny (Canada), Neil Omerod (Australia), Claudia Leal Luna (Chile), Stephanie Puen (Philippines), Carolina Montero (Chile), Eamon Conway (Ireland), Jochen Sautermeister (Germany), Marcus Mescher (US), John Sheveland (US), Kate Jackson-Meyer (US), Dolores López Guzmán (Spain).
Regional Virtual Tables:
- Co-Chairs: Toussaint Kafarhire, Odomaro Mubangizi; participants: Elisabeth Nduku, Emmanuel Bueya, Nora Nonterah, Anthonia B. Ojo, Solange Ngah, Anne Celestine Achieng, Leocadie Lushombo, Laurenti Magesa, Bienvenu Mayemba, Bridgita Mwawasi, Jude Likori, John Bosco Kamoga, SimonMary Aihiokai, Stan Chu Ilo, Teresa Kiragu.
- Co-Chairs: Toussaint Kafarhire Murhula, S.J., Armel Klarc Setubi, S.J., Yannick Essenge, S.J.
Asian-Oceanian Regional Virtual Table
A small group has formed an Asian-Oceanian regional virtual table. Foci of the table include: inviting new representatives to join the virtual table from different countries; inviting new members from the region to join CTEWC, particularly from under-represented countries; providing mentorship and support for women and junior scholars in the region; Virtual Tables for women and junior scholars in the region; and continuing the CTEWC Asian Theological Ethics Books Series.
- Participants: Agnes Brazal (Philippines), Eric Genilo (Philippines), Dan Fleming (Australia), Vimala Chenginimattam (India), Mathew Illathuparampil (India), Shaji George Kochuthara (India), Mary Yuen (Hong Kong), Sharon Bong (Singapore), Osamu Takeuchi (Japan), Vimal Tirimanna (Sri Lanka), Stan Alla (India), Jijo T. Varghese (India), Caroline Ong (Australia), Angelo Aseneta (Philippines), Stephanie Ann Puen (Philippines), Simeiqui He (China).
Latin American-Caribbean Regional Virtual Table
As a leadership group, these members are organizing themselves as a Virtual Table in order to continue their dialogue, growth, and fostering the integration of theological ethicists in the region. The main goal is to promote new collaborative work in the region and expand its relationship with old and new partners.
- Participants: Alexandre A. Martins (chair) and Ronaldo Zacharias (Brazil), Jutta Battenberg (Mexico), Pablo Blanco and Anibal Torres (Argentina), Verónica Anguita (Chile), María Isabel Gil Espinosa (Colombia), Edwin Vasquez (Peru) and MT Davila (Puerto Rico).
Embracing the encouragement of the CTEWC to create Virtual Tables that seek “facilitate and promote debate among theological ethicists,” the CTEWC Latin American and Caribbean region is launching a new VT that aims to promote new and young voices of theologians working with ethics in the region and their global dialogue with other members in the network.
Asian-Oceanian Junior Scholars Virtual Table – now forming (September 2020)